If you are not familiar with what a Listserv is, It's kind of like a giant
e-mail club. When a member sends a message to the club, it goes to a central
address. The software at that address sends a copy of the message to everyone
who is a member. In this way, everyone on the list writes to everyone else on
the list. In order to send a message to the list, you must be a member of the
list. Here are the Lists I know of, and how to subscribe to each one. I'm sure
there are many I don't know about so if you know of one that's not on the list,
please send me the info so I can put include it.
There are many Listservs that are private lists, or "by invitation only".
Those Listservs are not listed here.
To find out more about this list, click on the title.
- ACCESS - Discusses media access for people with vision or hearing
impairments. To subscribe send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org
with a blank subject line and the message subscribe ACCESS
- a forum for chatting and the exchange of (precious) information on hearing
impairment/cochlear implants and their families. Also to co-ordinate
organizing and improving services in Asia.
- Asian-deaf - Any discussions can be made by this group such as problems,
news, etc This group is only for deaf asian.
- To provide information and emotional support to parent's of children
diagnosed with Auditory Neuropathy.
- This list welcomes comments and questions about CAPD which can affect both
academic and social aspects of life.
A place to chat about Auditory-Verbal topics.
- AV-CIRCLE - The list is for those practicing, or interested in
Auditory-Verbal therapy. To subscribe, send a message to email@example.com
In the body of the message type: subscribe
- The main subject of the list will be to discuss aesthetics of hearing aids,
and hearing aids as "fashion detail", like fashioned glasses are. Members are
highly supported to send us pictures of beautiful hearing aid wearers.
- BEYOND-HEARING - to provide a communication vehicle for people who have
a hearing loss and who seek to overcome the barriers of hearing loss between themselves,
other people, and the environment. Start the process of subscribing to the list by sending
an e-mail message to firstname.lastname@example.org
Use no subject line. The following message on the first line of the message body must be
EXACTLY as follows: subscribe beyond-hearing
- bhNEWS -
dedicated to the dissemination of information thought to be of benefit to the
"Hearing Loss Gang", as I call them, and more. A flexible format, with some
comedy, and whatever. It will be upbeat, for sure. A place to learn and enjoy.
- Cactus Cuers is a group of parents and professionals in Arizona
that are interested in learning about and using the Cued Speech system. This
group was started after an initial 18 hour workshop of Cued Speech Training
was given by Joan Rupert, of West Coast Cued Speech Programs in Phoenix, AZ.
The purpose of the listserv is to allow for these beginning cuers, as well
as advanced cuers and others interested in learning cued speech, to network,
practice, and share ideas about improving our skills and the usage of Cued
Speech. This group was started by the parent of a deaf child who is excited
about beginning the adventure of learning cued speech. Everyone is welcome to
- The topic of this list is Central Auditory Processing Disorder.
- For Professionals only. The topic of this list is Central Auditory
- An experimental, moderated (to avoid spam) discussion list on captioning has
been started. The primary focus is on captioning advocacy, to get more
- The CHARGE Syndrome List is for anyone that has anything to do with a child
with CHARGE, parents, caregivers, doctors, therapists and teachers. The basic
idea of the list is information and support. We need a place where we can talk
about things that are involved with a child with CHARGE.
- CI - Cochlear Implant Forum. This is a listserv
primarily oriented at those people that already have cochlear implants or are in the
process of obtaining one. It is for sharing experiences, offering advice, talk of news,
sensible even-handed discussion, etc. It is respectfully asked of those who would
subscribe to please leave the asl-oral arguments at the door. To subscribe, send a message
to: Listserv@yorku.ca In the body of the message
type: subscribe ci your name.
- CI - This is different from the one listed above. This CI maillist is
for everyone interested in cochlear implants. Whether you have a CI, are considering
getting one, or are just curious about what they are, you're welcome here. Unlike other CI
lists, we hope to develop a warm family type list where you can talk about your family and
your day, not just about your implant.
- CI-CIRCLE - For parents of children with CI's and for
parents who are considering CI's for their children. To subscribe, join yahoo
groups and then go to
- CIHear - Here
is the place for hearing loss support, to learn about CIs or share your own
experiences, good or bad. Questions? Information? Support? New Friends? You
just found them all in one place. Please join us for your hearing loss (or
- CI-FAMILY -
This is a mailing list for families that would like to talk about Cochlear
- CI-PRELINGUALS - This list is geared towards Cochlear Implantees who were born deaf or are prelingually deaf. We also welcome those who are considering a CI for themselves or for their child. This is a place where we can share our experiences and information, and ask questions regarding our
- CITeens-Preteens - This group was created by the parent of a 14
year old ASL user about to be implanted. The purpose of this group is for
parents of older children receiving cochlear implants to be able to share
their experiences. Our needs differ from those of parents with children who
were implanted as babies and toddlers. This group is open to all. Our focus
will be on needs of the older deaf child receiving a cochlear implant and
their progress post-implant. Sometimes I have felt like I am the only parent
on the other CI forums with a teenager receiving an implant but I know there
must be others. Please join us!!
- Cochlear Implant
Users Group UK - This group is for all CI users living in the UK -
from all 3 brands - any age, also open to any perspective CI users whom are
thinking or waiting their CI surgeries.
- CLASSROOMACOUSTICS - for anyone who is interested in public/private
school listening environment. Whether your a professional or parent this group will be
sharing anything in this area. Classroom acoustics is being addressed on a national level,
so what ever you can share about this issue will be of some value.
- CMV - a list for parents of kids with congenital CMV. To subscribe,
send a message to: Requests@challengenet.com.
In the body of the message type:
- A discussion list for professionals in the cochlear implant field.
- COPAA - Council of Parent Attorneys and Advocates. A closed e-mail list
to enable members to exchange legal information and other assistance. Access is not
available to attorneys who represent school districts or persons currently employed by
school districts. Additional information will be requested before you are accepted as a
member. Note: While this is a closed list, it is here because it is open to all unless
your represent or are employed by school districts. You must be a member of COPAA in
order to subscribe to this list.
- CUED-SPEECH - e-mail
- a discussion list for families that have adopted deaf children or that are
in the process of adopting deaf children.
- DEAFBLND - The topic of this list is Deaf-Blindness. The purpose of
this list is to share information, inquiries, ideas and opinions on matters
pertaining to Deaf-Blindness. This list is open to professionals, persons
who are deaf-blind, and to their families and friends. To subscribe send a
message to: email@example.com
In the body of the text type: Subscribe DEAFBLND Your
- Deaf Jobs - to subscribe to any group, send a blank e mail to the
- Deaf Europe -For Deaf People in Europe Unite!
- DEAF-L - Separate from the DEAF-L Newsgroup.
For more information about this group, check out their Administrative Information
page. To subscribe, send a message to: Listserv@siu.edu In the body of the
message type: subscribe DEAF-L Firstname Lastname
- DEAF-LAWYERS - A discussion forum primarily for deaf people who work in
the legal field, are studying law or are interested in pursuing such a career. This list
may be also of interest to interpreters etc, who work with deaf people in legal settings.
- DEAFADM - This is a Listserv for the purpose of discussing issues
relating to deaf education administration. It is for professionals who have responsibility
for administering any type of educational program. There is no philosophical bias to the
group. Total Communication, Bi-Bi, Cued, Oral- everyone is welcome. And since most of the
administrative issues are common around the world, we welcome everyone no matter where you
live. To Subscribe: Send an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the body of the text type: subscribe deafadm
- Deafblindness - For people who are deafblind or are friends or
family to a deaf blind person. It is really for anyone that is interested in
leaning and interpreters can join.
- Deafblindsupportgrp - This is a Peer Support Group. This group is
for discussing very deep serious problems with emotions, good or bad
experiences, ranging from school to an adulthood. Participants includes all
ranges varieties ranging from vision-impairment to blind and from
Hard-Of-Hearing to Deaf are encouraged to join this list.
- DEAFBLND - The topic of this list is Deaf-Blindness. The purpose of
this list is to share information, inquiries, ideas and opinions on matters pertaining to
Deaf-Blindness. This list is open to professionals, persons who are deaf-blind, and to
their families and friends. To subscribe send a message to: email@example.com In the body of the
text type: Subscribe DEAFBLND Your Name
- A new announcement list for Deaf Californians and supporters. News, event
information and job postings.
- DeafChristianHomeschool - A group of Christian Homeschool of deaf or hard of hearing parents share their teaching tips, ideas, views based on biblical principles.
For more information visit
- DEAFHOMESCHOOL - This is a support group and information
clearinghouse for parents who are homeschooling deaf or hard-of-hearing
children. Discussion of general homeschool issues will be permitted,
but the focus of the list is on the particular challenges of homeschooling
deaf and heard-of-hearing children, including IEP's, legal issues, and
obtaining special ed services, as well as exploration of alternative
educational approaches, presentation, and learning styles. All
homeschool approaches are supported (from "school-at-home" to
unschooling. Religious discussion will be terminated. Criticism of, or
argument about, communication choices or cochlear implants will not be
- DEAFINTL - An e-mail discussion list created to discuss issues related
to empowering deaf people in developing countries. This list is called the Deaf
Empowerment and Advancement Fellowship International List (deafintl). If you are deaf,
from a developing country, and working to help empower your local deaf community, then
this is YOUR list. However, anyone of any hearing status from any country in the world is
welcome to join deafintl as long as they feel they have something to contribute or
something to gain from the list. At this time, people are allowed to post in any language,
though English is encouraged when possible. To subscribe send a message to: firstname.lastname@example.org. In the body of the text
type: Subscribe deafintl username@address
- DEAFJEWS - Forum for Jewish religion related issues of the deaf people.
You can join this group by sending the message sub DEAFJEWS
your name to email@example.com
- DEAFOTPT, An Internet Discussion Group for OTs, PTs, and others to
discuss issues related to working with deaf clients/patients/children with special needs.
You can be Deaf or Hearing to subscribe. Send an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Body of
message: subscribe deafotpt firstname lastname
DEAFPLUS · Deaf Children with Special Needs.
I am a parent of a deaf child with additional needs. I understand the complex
situation this leaves families, teachers, and the like when dealing with
education, communities and home life. I also understand how hard it is to find
someone who understands the struggles one goes through. This group has been
established for parents, teachers, families, siblings, therapists, etc. to
come together and share information, find friends who understand and learn how
to fight for the rights of our special children. We would look forward to
hearing from you. *This group is for children not using oral (speech) methods.
- DEAFSPORTS - A discussion list about sports for people who are deaf. To
subscribe, send the following message to email@example.com
subscribe deafsports firstname lastname
- DEAF-UK -
a Mailing List for Deaf people in United Kingdom. This is for Deaf community
so Deaf people can subscribe this list to have discussion about any topics,
but relate to deaf only (this list is aiming for deaf people who live in UK -
but anyone else can welcome if they really want).
- A list for the Educational Audiology Association. You must be a member of
the Educational Audiology Association in order to join this list.
- ECSTC - Educational Cued Speech Transliterators Coalition - To
subscribe to this list send a message to listserv@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU.
In the body of the message write: subscribe ECSTC your name.
- EDUDEAF - This list contains discussions on issues concerning deaf
education. To subscribe, send a message to: firstname.lastname@example.org In the body of the text type: Subscribe
EDUDEAF your name.
- If you have used medical equipment for sell, or to donate, this is the list for you. Or if you are looking for a piece of equipment, you may find it here. I created this list for people involved with disabilities, who desperately need medical equipment at an affordable price. What better way then to link people, parents, and families together!
- Florida ASL Teachers Association list.
GESTURE-L - Gestures & alternate sign languages. To subscribe, send mail
with a message consisting of subscribe gesture-l
· A Message Board about Hearing Aids & Assistive Listening Devices for HOH
and Deaf People.
Hearing_Aids_Are_Cool - Hearing Aids are Cool
- Help for parents of hearing impaired children, help for anyone with hearing
impairment or communication problems: resources, information, email help
- Have a hearing loss or know someone that does? Need help finding resources?
I will try to answer questions or refer you to good resources. From infancy
(newborn) through adulthood, there are always questions and good resources out
there to help!
- provides information about Hard of Hearing (HOH) and Late Deafened (LD)
people in the US. The purpose of the list is to increase awareness of issues
and concerns within the HOH/LD communities.
- HYPERACUSIS - This listserv is for people with hyperacusis and
interested others, (especially seeking audiology and ENT professionals). It is an exchange
problems and concerns people have about living with the problem of hyperacusis. To
subscribe, write to email@example.com. In
the body of your email type:
subscribe hyperacusis yourname <your email address>.
- K-12TERPS - The list is for K through 12 Interpreters. To Subscribe go
http://www.coollist.com/subscribe.html. At the
bottom of the page is a place to subscribe. The list name is: k-12terps (all lower case)
And then plug in your e-mail address in the appropriate place. That's all! You will be
sent an automatic response confirming subscription.
- Listen-Up - To find out more about this list, click on the title.
- Meningitis Circle
- for parents of children who were deafened by meningitis. Most of the
children are cochlear implant users or are being evaluated for a cochlear
- NOISE (Network for Overcoming Increased Silence Effectively) is
intended as a forum to discuss topics of concern to hard of hearing/ deaf
medical professionals (human medicine, dental, nursing, veterinary,
veterinary technicians, etc) world-wide. It is also intended to be a means
of support by linking hard of hearing/deaf medical professionals from
various backgrounds and geographical regions. NOISE will also be open to
professionals closely affiliated to such individuals (i.e.: disability
offices and schools of education) in order to allow these professionals a
means of collecting information in order to assist hard of hearing/deaf
medical professionals. NOISE will also be open to hard of hearing/deaf
students of at least fifteen (15) years of age, who are interested in a
medical career. This will allow such students a means for collecting
information so they may make an educated decision about the feasibility of
pursuing a medical career. To subscribe the NOISE mailing list, the
interested party should send an e-mail message to the administrative
with the BODY of the mail consisting of the following: subscribe NOISE
- NUCLEUS FORUM
- Online peer counseling and support for the cochlear implant community. This
forum is sponsored by Cochlear Ltd., makers of the Nucleus Cochlear Implant
Systems. However, users of other cochlear implant systems are welcome to
- OUR-EARS - a forum for people who are hearing impaired for whatever
reason who want to talk, discuss...what its like in daily life to live hearing impaired.
The possibilities for discussion are endless and this is a good way for us all to connect
to each other.
- OUTREACH - This listserv was established for educational managers,
outreach specialists and others working with deaf and hard of hearing persons to share
information about programming, curriculum, training and other resources valuable for the
educational community. To Subscribe: Send an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- OzDeaf - mailing list is for the Australian Deaf Community of all
flavors and sizes to talk about their Deaf culture also as well for Parents of Deaf
children, Auslan Teachers & Students & Deaf organizations etc. This is a
fairly high volume e-mail list and it is moderated/restricted. There will be
censoring of messages so some can be posted.
- PAH-MD - Promoting Awareness in Healthcare, Medical & Deaf (P.A.H.,
M.D.) ...bridging the void between the Deaf community and the medical community.
Discussions/postings must DIRECTLY PERTAIN to the overlap between the Deaf and medical
communities and topics. To sign on to the mailing list simply send a letter to MailServ@ Gems.VCU.EDU with the following
message in the body; subscribe pah-md YOUR NAME &
DESCRIPTOR & <e-mail address>
(for example: subscribe pah-md TODD WITTE MCV MED STUDENT &
<TWITTE@GEMS.VCU.EDU>) Note: You must include the "<" and
">" in your request.
- An Internet Discussion Group for Parents Founded by the American Society for
Deaf Children. To subscribe, send a message to
with the following message in the body: subscribe
PARENTDEAF-HH <your name>. You can also join by
- Phidcoz (Parents of Hearing Impaired and Deaf Children Australia)
- for parents of hearing impaired and deaf children living in
Australia. Their children can have a range of hearing loss and use different
forms of communication. This is a forum for Australian parents to discuss
issues, ideas and concerns about any aspect of their deaf or hearing impaired
child's life and receive feedback, advice or empathy from other parents.
- ProblemCI -
Cochlear Implants have been a miracle to many people but there are some who
have had this surgical procedure and have been disappointed by it's results.
Here is the place to discuss those difficulties and share with others who know
how devastating this can be. If you are investigating an implant and wish to
get a well rounded view of the product, this list may be just the place.
- Reverb UK - The Reverb-UK group is for parents
of deaf children in the UK regardless of their communication choices,
educational decisions, the child's degree of hearing loss or whether they are
using cochlear implant or hearing aids. We will share problems, strategies,
successes and failures as well as giving support and advice - and hopefully
find new friends who understand our situation. Discussion may cover topics
such as education choices, statementing, parenting issues, audiology, our
hopes for the future - in fact any issues which affect raising your deaf/hard
of hearing child in the UK. Please respect each parents decision and the
choices they have made. Parents of deaf children only please.
- an on-line group of over 200 late-deafened and hard of hearing and other
interested folks who provide support and encouragement to each other through
- SERVICE-DOGS - Anyone interested in training or using guide, hearing or
other assistance dogs. To subscribe, send a message to: email@example.com In the body of the
text type: Subscribe SERVICE-DOGS Your Name
- SLLING-L is a sign language linguistics list. To subscribe, send a
message with a blank subject line to Listserv@yalevm.cis.yale.edu
In the body of the message type: subscribe SLLING-L
- SPECIAL-ED - The purpose of the list is to have a place where teachers,
reasearchers and parents can get together to talk about special-ed . The list is
focused on resources available and solutions to some special-ed resources. To
subscribe, send a message to: firstname.lastname@example.org In
the body of the text type: subscribe special-ed
- SPECIAL EDUCATION - to subscribe, send a message to email@example.com In the body of the message
type: subscribe spedtalk-digest
- TBAY_CIAI - The Tampa Bay Suncoast
Chapter of Cochlear Implant Association. Although we are a CI support group
chapter in Florida, we welcome others to our site to participate in
discussions, browse our Links section, or participate in our polls.
- TEACHASL - A discussion list for teachers of American Sign Language. To
subscribe, send mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
with the command SUBSCRIBE TEACHASL
- This group is for sign language interpreters who interpret in educational
settings, elementary through post secondary. Our purpose is to have an open,
supportive and friendly professional atmosphere in which to discuss issues
related to the profession of interpreting. We also welcome interested members
of the Deaf community to join and post messages and participate in
discussions. We welcome any postings of job positions, workshops and
announcements related to this profession. The archives for this group are public.
- TexasCuers is an electronic mailing list for questions,
discussions, and announcements about Cued Speech in the Lone Star State. You
are invited to join TexasCuers and help bring cohesiveness and growth to the
cueing community in Texas. TexasCuers will help us Lone Star Cuers get to know
each other better and stay informed about Cued Speech-related events in Texas.
- TFA - International news service for people who are deaf, hard of
hearing or otherwise affiliated with the deaf community. Most information relates to
events and news at Gallaudet.. To subscribe, send a message to: Rbweinstock@gallua.gallaudet.edu
- TheDeafMainstreamForum -
an open dialogue for professionals and parents involved with the education of
deaf and hard of hearing students in the mainstream. Discussions should
include: itinerant teacher services, mainstreaming, deaf schools, teaching
strategies, activity ideas for teachers and therapists providing direct
services, open forums for bouncing ideas, support. Positive affirmations about
programs, activities, lessons, experiences. Everything that professionals and
parents wish to discuss about educating these students.
- TX Hearing Loss List
- This list is primarily for Texas residents with hearing
loss who want to communicate with each other about hearing loss issues and
just have a little fun.
- USA-L News -
News/information for and about the Deaf and Hard of Hearing around the world.
- Ushers - This is a news, support and friendship list for all who
are affected by or interested in Usher's Syndrome -a disease which robs
those having it of the senses of sight and hearing. This list is no way
connected to the rock musical group called Ushers.